Search Victrola Cola

Thursday, April 22, 2010

2010 NFL Big Blogger/Little Draftee Program Methodology



To make sure the selection of our adopted draft picks was as random as possible, the following highly scientific formula was used:

I had figured from the onset that Powerball was going to play a part, but the question loomed how do we select a Powerball draft order for ourselves? That's where the 1968 Summer Olympics come into play. I assumed that neither Terry nor Ben were at all familiar with the results of the 100m sprint event in Mexico City--I know I wasn't--so I asked them to choose, without any context, from Charles Greene, Jim Hines, and Lennox Miller. Terry selected Lennox Miller (Silver), Ben chose Jim Hines (Gold), leaving me with Charles Greene (Bronze). Thus, the Powerball draft order went Ben, Terry, then me.

Now we return to the Powerball results. Put the white ball/red ball issue aside, I don't have time to sort through that shit, I just needed numbers that were randomly selected. Since no individual ball exceeds 59, I figured we're in business. The NFL draft slots would be determined by the Powerballs. Ben, having picked Jim Hines, would receive the draft slot of the first ball bearing a number equatable to a selection in the First Round of the NFL draft. Terry would receive the next eligible number, and I the third. As you may have noticed, it's possible for there not to be three numbers under 32 (which was the case). So in this event, the first drawn number exceeding 32 would be divided by 2 (and rounded up in event of an odd number), but only after all sub-33 balls had already been assigned.

The Powerball numbers were drawn in Orlando, Florida, last night. They were (in order of the actual drawing) 11, 34, 55, 41, 49, 20. The first number fits our scheme. Ben, with the first pick, will adopt the 11th pick in the NFL draft.

The next four numbers (34, 55, 41, 49) didn't comply with the scheme. However, the Powerball did. Terry, with the second pick, will follow the 20th pick in the NFL draft.

In order to determine my pick, the division-by-two rule from above needed to be invoked. Having gone through all six powerballs and yielding only two picks, I had to return to the beginning. The second ball, 34, was the next eligible number (when divided by two). Therefore, with the third pick, I will coddle/berate the 17th (34/2) pick in the NFL draft.

Now all that's left is the waiting.



-Kyle Wills

No comments:

Post a Comment